Crush Your Winter Training like a Champion!
OK, so it's cold. It might not quite be snowing, but it's definitely on the chilly side here in Melbourne.
The thing is, we ALL know that this is when we want to start to get results.
We know we if we can just get our mojo on over the cooler months, we'll be flying high when Spring rolls around, ready for the beach!
But, the cold is real. So, how do we deal with it to make sure we are set up to succeed?
Here are a few tips to keep you firing on all cylinders:
- How it starts is how it ends. ALWAYS train on a Monday. Start the week off strong and momentum does wonders. You can go at your own pace of course, but set the alarm, get yourself out of bed and in the door on a Monday and you are on your way to the top.
- Be set up to train. People train in Winter. It's a thing - get yourself some warmer base layers and have them set up right next to the bed. For me, I have all of my clothes on (and Ugg Boots) pretty much before I'm out of the actual bed.
- Energise. Light is low, temps are down. Grab 40 minutes during the middle of the day and get out for a walk when you're at work. Keep the body moving, get as much light as you can. This will help you feel better, sleep better and recover faster in training.
- Eat to win. Quality food is your friend. Our energy demands are far higher in Winter, so we need to make sure we are nourishing our systems correctly. Warming foods, broths, soups and slow cooks are at the top of the list.
- Hold on to your vice. Look, these days everyone is quitting sugar, coffee, dairy.. all sorts of elimination in the diet and that might be what the individual needs. But the way I look at is, if you have one little reward that you give yourself around your training that helps you keep firing through Winter, then that's awesome! For me, I love a little coffee with some cream right when I train after a decent breakfast. It keeps me warm, and is something I look forward to as I roll out of bed and scrape the ice off the car wind-screen!
Winter is a great time of year, we just need to be prepped. Take some time this weekend and get yourself set up for success!