5 Weight-Loss Hacks For Faster Results
Struggling to get into the groove with your fat loss?
With the overwhelming word of health advice out there, you might be stuck with information-overload, and we get it.
From our own personal experience with dietary self-experimentation and after working with many clients to help them drop body fat, build lean muscle and find a healthier lifestyle groove, we know that things need to make sense, take little time and last for the long haul.
Here are a few key hacks that deliver:
1. Eat more roughage. Roughage and fibre, particularly from seasonal plant-based foods will not only keep you fuller for longer, but will also promote better digestion and excretion of wastes and toxins. Plant based foods are loaded with nutrients and phytochemicals that are needed for good health and help to manage body weight. We love our organic veggie box delivery – a great way to experiment with new vegetables and ensure that you work your way through the whole box each week! Go for lots of different colours, textures and a mix of cooked and raw.
2. Make smart drink swaps. Drinking your food can be one of the fastest ways to add unnecessary sugar and energy that can make it hard to shift weight. Swap sugary drinks like soft drinks (no diet drinks either!), fruit juices and some coffee and teas with naturally infused waters, herbal teas and bone broth (see below). Drinks like kombucha can be an awesome way to boost gut health and a perfect stand-in for the after work glass of wine. See if you can ditch alcohol for a few months, or at least set yourself some boundaries and remove mid-week drinking. This can be the perfect catalyst for dropping body fat, particularly around the belly.
3. Boost your broth. If you’re not yet on the broth bandwagon, you should be. Bone broth is a nutrient-dense elixir of health and also the perfect answer for maintenance of healthy weight. Rather than reaching for another coffee, sugary snack or chocolaty afternoon pick-up, a warming mug of broth with a dash of sea salt, miso or handful of chopped veggies will leave you feeling satisfied, while also boosting gut health, immune function and energy. Check out John’s bad-ass bone broth recipe here.
4. Explore your blood sugar. When we eat high carbohydrate or sugary foods on their own, the amount of sugar in our blood increases and we have to recruit our incredible hormonal system to counteract this spike. If we do this too often, this excess energy is stored as fat. Watch out for sugary snacks, lollies, muesli bars, slices and excessive fruit – especially on an empty stomach. When you wake up first thing in the morning, you’re in a fasted state with low blood sugar. Try to break the fast with a high protein and healthy fat meal instead of a sugar hit. Try eggs with leafy greens and avocado. We don’t advocate a super low carb diet, but we have experienced that sugar and carbohydrates in excess amounts will stop any fat loss in its tracks.
5. Find what works for you. Unfortunately, loosing body fat isn’t as easy as following a cookie cutter meal plan. We all have different energy requirements, different tolerances, different likes and dislikes. We also have a bunch of different symptoms, from low energy to poor immune function to digestive concerns. Want to find out what works? Get yourself a diary and start recording! Observe your food intake and most importantly, your behaviour. Notice how stress impacts your food choices and your sleep. Notice if you’ve trained yourself with a “treat” response when you’re not feeling well or if you’re tired. Recording and journaling can be an amazing way to start observing and changing your relationship with food for a sustainable and long-lasting approach to your weight loss.
Not sure where to start? We’re constantly harping on about nutrition, lifestyle and training to our members here at Workshop. Get in touch so we can find out about your goals and help you to get on track!